[Stoves] brush fires

acparker at xmission.com acparker at xmission.com
Mon Sep 21 13:13:02 CDT 2015

   It is probably technically feasible (if not economically), however,
I would doubt that permission would be given to cut it.  Most of the
wild fires of the past couple of decades have been intensified because
of land management decisions.  Given that regulations often do not
allow owners to clear a proper safety buffer around their structures,
the best protection against wild fire is going to be proper choice of
building material.  Wood shake roofs and board and batten walls may be
picturesque, but they are also highly flammable.

   Goats seem to be more politically acceptable than saws, trimmers and mowers.

   An interesting statistic is the annual wildfire predictions made by
the BLM and Forest Service, in which they estimate BTUs available for
burning per square meter.  If cheat grass could be economically
harvested, there is a lot of energy that could be made available.

   I consider all regular participants on this list to be honorable --
knowledgeable, opinionated, stubborn, outspoken, but very honorable.

   We seem to have drifted into the perfect storm, an argument over
nomenclature combined with an argument over which form of carbon is
acceptable to burn, an argument over whether any carbon ought to be
burned, and an argument over anthropogenic climate catastrophe.  While
I find some amusement in it, I would prefer the list survive to
continue benefiting the World.

   Andrew Parker (not AJH)