[Stoves] News 20 September 16: Ten restaurants that shaped America

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:53:59 CDT 2016

Anil:

It might take 20 years, like it did for the message of indoor air pollution
to get through.

Food has its own politics and biases. For some 50 years since Robert
McNamara took over the World Bank and started providing finance for
agriculture, the emphasis has been on primary production and emergency food
aid, both with their own sets of problems and failures. McNamara also
started finance for family planning, health and nutrition, of which health
took the biggest chunk and nutrition limited mostly to poor women and
children, if memory serves me correctly.

The food industry is huge and its own variety of advocates and detractors.
But there seems to be greater awareness of the dietary influences on
non-communicable diseases and longevity. There was a special event two days
ago at the UN General Assembly meeting going on right now - see Urban Food
Systems: The Nutrition Challenge.
<http://www.eatforum.org/article/urban-food-systems-the-nutrition-challenge/>
and
a related page - Food is the new Internet, only bigger.
<http://www.eatforum.org/article/kimbal-musk-says-food-is-the-new-internet-only-bigger/>

There is also a Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition
<http://www.gainhealth.org/> but they don't seem to take any interest in
cooking.

The food system is changing. The health profiles are changing. Cooking is
changing.

I have a feeling the technical and market profile of "stoves" business -
however defined - is also changing. Just that we are boxed in with this
"box" mentality of emission rates and ADALYs.

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080