[Stoves] News (22 Sept 16): Obama awards National Humanities Medal to Chef Jose Anders

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:30:14 CDT 2016

Teddy:

Restaurant fuel fights aren't new. When I went to Antoine's - one of the
most famous restaurants in the US, New Orleans French Quarter (14 dining
rooms, on two or three floors) - the current owner told me the chefs fought
tooth and nail about switching from coal to gas, sometime in the 1940s.
"You can't cook French food on gas!!"

I am sure coal, charcoal, and wood all have their special appeals to chefs
depending on the type of cuisine and location.

I am glad to see electricity being called "renewable". If they mean hydro,
there's bad news - Oh great — scientists just confirmed a key new source of
greenhouse gases
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/09/28/scientists-just-found-yet-another-way-that-humans-are-creating-greenhouse-gases/>
Washington
Post 28 September 2016. It's not really news; I have read claims going back
25 years. This new paper - unpublished, but that doesn't stop science from
seeking publicity - supposedly synthesizes previous reports. I reserve
judgment on the quality of data, but yes, the environmental risks of
hydroelectricity can be high, GHG emissions aside.

Otherwise, if British Columbia is going to go all solar/wind, China and
India will sure finance the purchase.

Then North Americans will rediscover the value of what they still export -
oil, gas, and coal! :-)

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080