[Stoves] Fine Particulates from a Selection of Cookstoves

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 08:31:21 CDT 2017

Paul:

Yes, there is a mismatch between the abstract and the article. Correction
below.

Dairy operations might also be a source of highly toxic pathogens as the
Schaeffer, et al. noted, "Particulate matter emissions from agricultural
livestock operations contain both chemical and biological constituents that
represent a potential human health hazard. The size and composition of
these dusts, however, have not been well described."

Anybody wandering around in rural India - or even cities,since we have
cattle running around in this city of 5+ million inhabitants - would
immediately notice the pollution from cattle wastes, not just open
defecation by humans (has nearly disappeared in my city) and chemical
spills, landfills, what not.

It is a singular shame of the "fuel emissions lead to premature deaths"
gang that their inventory of PM2.5 concentrations - outdoors, or "indoors"
(since cattle are often kept next to the residential areas) - omit source
allocation to such sources.

I have challenged air quality experts to tell me the composition of PM
recorded in different places. There is no such database. The
assumption of equitoxicity
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231014006669>- for
chemical and biological constituents of whatever type - overrides any
consideration of biological phenomena of dose-response. That combined with
the "Integrated Exposure-Response <https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1307049/>"
assumptions makes the GBD computations about morbidity from cooking fuels
utterly ridiculous.

Tom calls such views "rant". I challenge WHO folks to defend the
GoBbleDygook. The first of these papers states

"The key assumptions are (i) equitoxicity of PM2.5 from different sources,
(ii) that PM2.5 adequately represents risk from combustion mixtures, and
(iii) that the health outcomes are sufficiently similar across exposure
sources and settings."

These assumptions are eminently challengeable. There is no way to validate
from actual measurements that they are necessary assumptions for first
approximation of estimates. They are simply ideology-driven nonsense - to
justify the conclusions:

New WHO air quality guidelines will address household air pollution (HAP).
Action on HAP could lower risk of multiple child and adult diseases by
20-50%.
New evidence shows levels at or below 35 mg/m3 PM2.5 (WHO IT-1) are needed.
Most improved solid fuel stoves result in PM2.5 levels well above IT-1.
Intervention strategy must shift towards accelerating access to clean fuels.

Yup.

"Intervention strategy must shift towards accelerating access to clean
fuels."

No wonder Crispin thinks there is a war against coal. I am surprised that
readers of this List do not recognize that this is also a war against solid
fuels generally, including biosolids.

I happen to support subsidies for LPG and electricity, and have no problem
with "accelerating access to clean fuels" EXCEPT that there is no such
thing as "clean fuels", just "clean combustion. And the entire "database"
of fuels, emissions, exposures, is pure fiction.

Anybody on this list to care to prove me wrong? If too shy to challenge the
professoriat or reluctant to challenge donors with deep pockets -
disappointed enough, I think - please write to me privately and help me
develop a way to demolish the dominant paradigms of stoves work -
efficiency and health benefits.

Nikhil

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.6b05928

A Laboratory Comparison of Emission Factors, Number Size Distributions, and
Morphology of Ultrafine Particles from 11 Different Household
Cookstove-Fuel Systems
Guofeng Shen <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Shen%2C+Guofeng>†, Chethan K.
Gaddam <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Gaddam%2C+Chethan+K>§, Seth M.
Ebersviller <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Ebersviller%2C+Seth+M>‡, Randy L.
Vander Wal <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Vander+Wal%2C+Randy+L>§, Craig
Williams <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Williams%2C+Craig>∥, Jerroll W.
Faircloth <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Faircloth%2C+Jerroll+W>⊥, James J.
Jetter <http://pubs.acs.org/author/Jetter%2C+James+J>*
<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.6b05928#cor1>#
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9621-4139>, and Michael D. Hays
<http://pubs.acs.org/author/Hays%2C+Michael+D>#
† Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, 109 T.W. Alexander
Drive, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, United States
‡ University of Findlay, 1000 North Main Street, Findlay, Ohio 45840, United
States
§ John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering
and the EMS Energy Institute, Penn State University, University Park,
Pennsylvania 16802, United States
∥ CSS-Dynamac Inc., 1910 Sedwick Road, Durham, North Carolina 27713, United
States
⊥ Jacobs Technology Inc., 600 William Northern Boulevard, Tullahoma,
Tennessee 37388, United States
# Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
109 T.W. Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, United
States
Environ. Sci. Technol., Article ASAP
*DOI: *10.1021/acs.est.6b05928
Publication Date (Web): May 9, 2017
Copyright © 2017 American Chemical Society
*Tel.: 919-541-4830; fax: 919-541-2157; e-mail: Jetter.jim at epa.gov.
Abstract
[image: Abstract Image]

Ultrafine particle (UFP) emissions and particle number size distributions
(PNSD) are critical in the evaluation of air pollution impacts; however,
data on UFP number emissions from cookstoves, which are a major source of
many pollutants, are limited. In this study, 11 fuel-stove combinations
covering a variety of fuels and different stoves are investigated for UFP
emissions and PNSD. The combustion of LPG and alcohol (∼1011 particles per
useful energy delivered, particles/MJd), and kerosene (∼1013 particles/MJd),
produced emissions that were lower by 2–3 orders of magnitude than solid
fuels (1014–1015 particles/MJd). Three different PNSD types—unimodal
distributions with peaks ∼30–40 nm, unimodal distributions with peaks <30
nm, and bimodal distributions—were observed as the result of both fuel and
stove effects. The fractions of particles smaller than 30 nm (*F*30) varied
among the tested systems, ranging from 13% to 88%. The burning of LPG and
alcohol had the lowest PM2.5 mass emissions, UFP number emissions, and
*F*30 (13–21%
for LPG and 35–41% for alcohol). Emissions of PM2.5 and UFP from kerosene
were also low compared with solid fuel burning but had a relatively high *F*
30 value of approximately 73–80%.

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080
*Skype: nikhildesai888*