[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Biochar makers that are low emission, fire safe, and "look like" a stove, oven or heater

Gordon West gordon.west at rtnewmexico.com
Fri Jan 18 09:33:31 CST 2019

The Trollworks and Southwest Energy Integrators are beginning a USDA Forest Service grant funded pilot project that covers all of the issues being discussed here. I see a good deal of misconception about the forest issues, which is common even in the forestry field, due to competing interests, political prejudices, and limited funding - all combining to make practical solutions more difficult.

An outline of our pilot: It is taking place in a Southwestern US ecosystem dominated by pinyon, juniper, and Ponderosa pine forests, which are generally in need of thinning of biomass built up over a century of mismanagement via three primary factors; overgrazing (removal of fine fuels on the forest floor), natural fire suppression, and big tree logging. The idea that these forest floors need “raking”, and that was the cause of the disastrous Camp Fire is beyond laughable - those fuels are necessary for the kind of fire that has been missing for so long as a component of natural ecosystem management. What needs to be removed is the overstocking of small trees and brush. That costs money and proactive commitment, which are in short supply. Tax cuts are no replacement for thinning cuts…

A solution is to create products that can be made from such liability biomass, thereby giving it some value that can offset some of the costs of acquisition. Biochar and energy have the potential to do that better than any other product we have worked with. However, we have learned through decades of experience in the rural community context, that it is of critical importance to coordinate and optimize the whole process from forest planning through biomass acquisition, primary breakdown of materials, processing into char and storable char feedstock, utilization of the heat energy from the biogas, and finally establishment of local char markets - to make the system work. Working on any one of these elements in isolation from the system context will introduce costs and inefficiencies that can prevent success.

The pilot project is to take thinned material from the national forest to a modest collection and processing yard where it will be chipped.
The chips will be loaded into a dryer/hopper where air heated from combusting pyrolysis gases will blow through the hopper drying the biomass.
The dried chips will go to a hammermill to be sized for pelletizing.
About 30% of the pelletized material will be fed into the pyrolyzers and made into char and more heat for drying biomass.
The remaining 70% of pellets will be bagged and stored for use in the heating season.
Several pyrolyzer/boiler systems will be installed at a campus building at the site (a college), and the pellets will be used to provide building heat while making char.
The char will be sold locally or used by the college in STEM curricula, soil science, and R&D endeavors.
The pilot is expected to displace $50K/year in propane expense and net $20K in “profit” assuming a modest price for the char can be realized.
To the greatest extent possible, existing businesses (forest thinners, haulers, wood products businesses, power line maintenance companies, etc) will be integrated into the community scaled system.
The system will be highly adaptable to existing conditions by virtue of being modular and easily scalable.
There will be no open burning.
Almost any biomass source can be accommodated.

We expect to begin production this Spring.

Gordon West
The Trollworks
503 N. “E” Street
Silver City, NM 88061
575-537-3689

An entrepreneur sees problems as the seeds of opportunity.